Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

Demand Action to end Gun Violence

Philly --

Six months ago today, my sister was murdered with a gun while protecting the children in her classroom.

I'm about to stand with members my community in remembering those we lost that day. Will you join me and help send a message to Congress?

Watch the livestream of the Newtown remembrance event. And join me in telling Congress NO MORE NAMES -- it's time to pass common sense gun reform. 

I’ll be there with survivors, community members, faith leaders, and my family. We’ll share a moment of silence for the innocent victims who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary six months ago today. And throughout the day, supporters will read the names of more than 6,000 Americans who have been murdered with guns since our tragic loss.

My older sister Victoria was a teacher at Sandy Hook, and my family still thinks about her and mourns her every day.

Sadly, my family is not the only one who has suffered this kind of loss.

33 Americans are murdered with guns every single day. They are our sisters and brothers, our children, our parents, teachers, and friends. Each of their names, along with Victoria’s, is a reason to make common sense gun reform a reality.

Please join us by watching the livestream starting at 9:30 a.m. ET today, and then make a call to your representative:

http://www.nomorenames.org/call

I was in the Senate gallery when a minority of Senators blocked background check legislation. It was difficult to look some of these Senators in the face as they argued against something so necessary and common sense. I can only hope that if they had to go home and be confronted with their own constituents and the consequences of their inaction, things will change.

If we make our voices loud enough, we can make a lasting difference that will spare countless families from having to go through this kind of pain.

Thank you for everything you’re doing. The fact that you’re in this fight with me is inspiring – and I’m grateful to know that you’ll lend a hand.

Sincerely,
Jillian Soto

  A campaign of Mayors Against Illegal Guns | About Us | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment