Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Gun Crisis Philadelphia






THE VIOLENCE IN OUR CITIES IS MUR-DA-DICULOUS! 

A 14 year old yesterday asked me "do I think the violence will ever stop?" The question was short and straight to the point, but I hesitated to give my answer because I needed to add HOPE in my words. HOPE that one day this young boy will live to see the age 30. HOPE that this young boy can grow and play outside without being afraid that a stray bullet may come his way. HOPE that this young boy does not have to attend funeral after funeral of family and friends. HOPE that he too can become part of the solution. HOPE that he does not own the circumstances to which he come from. So, I shot from the hip (in a matter of speaking) I told him that violence existed way before he and I. When I was growing up there were gangs and betrayal amongst friends  But there was more respect in the street. 
He asked what did I mean by that. I told him back in 1979 my favorite uncle was killed right there on Ridge Avenue. He walked in between two gangs at war and because he had on the wrong colors one of the gangs took him for the enemy. Yea, we heard plenty of scenarios like this. But what happened next was truly unusual. 
The man who put the machete right through my uncle's chest and killed him had days later come to my grandmother's house, right before my uncle's funeral and what he did, I did not understand then because I was only 14 years old but I do now; this man sat on my grandmother's couch and cried and apologize for killing my uncle. He said he thought he was a member of the other gang.
 I skipped a lot of the story because I did not want to lose focus. But my point to this young boy was "many people believe the man's actions (who killed my favorite uncle) was one of respect and accountability. Something that is truly missing from today's generations from the grandparents on down. 
I told him in a perfect world violence would not exist. But we don"t live in a perfect world so it's important for him and I to do what we can do to make a difference in our own community. He then handed me a completed application to become a member of the Jr. Artists against Violence and said, "he has a message through his lyrics that he HOPES he can reach kids his age and maybe even their parents so they can know too." 
SO ACTION IS NEEDED FROM EVERYONE NOT JUST OUR POLITICIANS! GET INVOLVED; MAKE A DIFFERENCE!.....Philly's Very Own Gossip Girl coming at ya! xoxo
Posted: 28 Mar 2013 07:38 AM PDT
mayorsagainstillegalguns.org
Press releaseMayors Against Illegal Guns announced that Americans will gather at more than 100 events across the country (today), Thursday, March 28 as part of the National Day to Demand Action to end gun violence. While members of Congress are home during the Easter/Passover recess, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, in conjunction with Organizing for Action, Americans for Responsible Solutions and other groups, will organize events and petition drives and generate an unprecedented number of calls into Senate district offices to call for their representatives to support commonsense gun laws like comprehensive and enforceable background checks.

Read the full release: Americans To Call On Congress To End Gun Violence On National Day To Demand Action

In Philadelphia, Mayor Michael Nutter, Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Ross, Jr., gun violence survivor Joe Davis will hold a press conference at noon today at the Widener Library, 2808 West Lehigh Avenue. Lower Merion officials will have a press confernece an 2 p.m. at the Montgomery County Courthouse at 2 East Airy Street in Norristown.

No comments:

Post a Comment