Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Growing Old Gracefully.....

In a world where time can’t be controlled should there be mandatory classes for those who hit the 40 something mark on how to grow old gracefully?  Desperation hits a person who sees time flying by without accomplishing the goals they once set for themselves. For some, it’s even guilt of the life changing mistakes they have made. The question remains, Am I where I should be in my existence with my career, relationship, family goals and personal life?

As time goes on, you start experiencing issues of growing old. In talking too many of my peers, health issues are beyond one’s control. Arthritis, weight gain, high blood pressure, diabetes, menopause and for some, experiencing anxiety and depression becomes symptoms that make them more aware of life’s most precious moments.

I was never taught how to grow old gracefully. It just wasn't a topic of conversation that you wanted to hear about when you are younger. I now look at people who are older and respect those who age with grace and tranquility. Those who do not stop living because their age is a higher number but whom still set life’s short term and long term goals.

I now understand the meaning of a legacy and want to continue to build mines on my life work and dreams. A legacy that my children and their children be proud of and remember. So, yes there should be classes of how to grow old gracefully for men and women.  With mid-life crisis or the more correct term “transitional period in life” being inevitable for all of us, one must go through a period of self-reflection.  A time in life when reality sets in and you start comparing yourself to others and start feeling gradually regretful and self-conscious.  


For most it begins when you start to have more questions than answers such as what is my purpose or who am I really? You have a few people who want to rehash their younger years by talking or acting hip. While others miss the way they use to look. For the majority the heightened sense of nutrition and well-being take precedence. So regretfully, we cannot stop the hands of time but we can all learn how to gracefully accept the change in times. 




No comments:

Post a Comment